Logo registration is the most sought-after form of brand registration in India. You apply for it when you not only want to protect the word, but also the design of the logo. However, this begs one question:
Trademark registration or Trademark Logo Registration– which one is better
It is one question that has vexed many entrepreneurs who seek to protect their identities in the market. Well, here, in this blog, all your questions will be answered. You will finally understand the differences between registration of a logo and a trademark on terms that you will finally be able to understand.
But first, let us get some facts right.
What is the process of logo registration online?
First, it is better that we start with the answer to the question – how to register a logo trademark in India. Here are the all the steps of the logo registration process:
- Codifying the trademark: Your logo, in legal terms is known as a device. Now a device has to be codified before you can use it to apply for logo trademark registration online. The process of codification is not a simple one. It takes all the shapes, letters and textures in your logo into account to translate it into code that a machine can understand. Thus, reach out to a consultant first and get your trademark codified.
- Conducting a trademark search: Once you have codified your mark, use the codes to conduct a trademark search. It is a preventive measure to find out whether your chosen mark has already been registered or not. If not, you can proceed with the next step.
- Applying for trademark registration: Now, you know the answer to the question of how to register a trademark in India. All it takes is one application and certain documents, including the application form, logo and the logo trademark registration fees.
Our Other Services: Partnership Firm Registration
You can take a look at the complete breakdown of the logo registration fees on our website.
- Assessment of the trademark application: The registrar of trademark will assess your trademark after receiving your application. The time it would take for the assessment would vary depending upon the complexity of your logo.
- Publication of the logo: Provided that the logo has successfully completed the assessment, the registrar will publish it in the trademarks journal for four months.
- Certification of the logo: Once the logo has been in the journal for four months, during which it does not receive any opposition, you will receive your trademark registration certificate.
Now, let us dive into the difference
As you can see, other than the initial process of codifying the logo, the rest of the process is the same for registration of a logo and a standard trademark.
But that’s where they endup.
Now, all we have are differences that are as follows:
- Registering a company’s logo: For company logo registration, it is not mandatory for the logo to have been registered under the Companies Act, 2013. However, in the case of startups, registration of a standard company is important before applying for trademark registration in India.
- The extra steps increase the logo registration price: Codifying a device takes skill. Therefore, the logo trademark registration fees in India tend to be a little bit higher.
These differences aren’t that critical, but they should be noted nonetheless. Keep them in mind when you apply for logo trademark registration online.
Related Article: Where to Find Exclusive Life Insurance Leads For Agents